UK dominates list of world’s ‘most international universities’
Thirty-nine universities in the UK make the Times Higher Education top 100, with Imperial College London leading the way – see the top 40 here
Universities in the UK have dominated new rankings which reveal the most “international universities” in the world.
The list, published today by The Times Higher Education, reveals that the UK has almost a third of entries in the top 200, while 39 make the top 100.
It shows that, in terms of the numbers of foreign staff and students, the UK is seeing off competition from nations including Switzerland, the US and Australia – which has the second highest number of entries.
However, the UK could risk losing out on its title, as competitors in Europe become savvier about luring candidates, an expert has warned.
Phil Baty, Times Higher Education World University Rankings editor, also said countries like China, which traditionally sends a large number of international students to the UK, were able to retain more students.
Mr Baty added that British immigration policies have sent the wrong message to students, leading to declines, particularly among the Indian population, which has been a large source of foreign students to the UK.
Mr Baty said the UK had “fantastic assets” and it was “one of the world’s most attractive destinations for international students”.
However, he said it risked losing its status because of rising competition. He added: “Its position is by no means assured.”
He outlined the risks: “First of all, there is a clearly a concern around immigration policies as to whether or not we truly welcome international students.
“There are also serious concerns that our competitors are getting much better at attracting these students. Countries are offering more courses in English and are actively recruiting the same students that would have come to the UK or the US in the past.”
In today’s rankings, the top spot was taken by Qatar University, followed by the University of Luxembourg, with the University of Hong Kong in third place, Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne in Switzerland in fourth and University of Geneva, Switzerland, rounded out the top five.
Top 100 international universities
1. Qatar University, Qatar
2. University of Luxembourg, Luxembourg
3. University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
4. École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne, Switzerland
5. University of Geneva, Switzerland
6. University of Macau, Macao
7. ETH Zurich – Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich, Switzerland
8. University of St Gallen, Switzerland
9. National University of Singapore, Singapore
10. Imperial College London, UK
11. University of Innsbruck, Austria
=12. Auckland University of Technology, New Zealand
=12. American University of Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
14. Maastricht University, Netherlands
15. United Arab Emirates University, United Arab Emirates
16. University of Basel, Switzerland
17. Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
=18. University of Oxford, UK
=18. University College London, UK
20. King’s College London, UK
Published on :Daily mail.co.uk