what are the english language requirements for study in uk

One thing we get asked time and time again is what are the English language requirements for UK universities? The short answer is that it depends where you are from and what you plan to study. For the (slightly) longer answer, we’ve just produced some straightforward guidelines on the requirements and how they apply to Cambridge English exams.
So which Cambridge English exams do students need?
Students from outside the EU, EEA and Switzerland need a Tier 4 student visa.Cambridge English: Proficiency and
Advanced qualifications can be used for undergraduate and postgraduate applications, as universities on the UK Visa
and Immigration’s Tier 4 Sponsors list can choose which exams they accept for courses at degree level.
For courses that are below degree level, applicants need a test from UKVI’s list of Secure English Language Tests (SELTs). IELTS for
UKVI – delivered jointly by Cambridge English Language Assessment, the British Council and IDP: IELTS Australia – is
the test we recommend, and is the only SELT that can be taken outside the UK.
Students who want to pursue further studies in the UAE can take the Cambridge English: Advanced exam as it is
officially recognised by the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research. A score of 154 is equivalent to IELTS
band 5.0; score of 169 equivalent to IELTS band 6.0.
Students from the EU, EEA and Switzerland do not need a student visa; they just need to meet the English language
requirements of the institution they are applying to. In terms of Cambridge English qualifications, Cambridge English:
Proficiency and Advanced are accepted for degree level courses (e.g. undergraduate and postgraduate).
They are also accepted for courses that are below degree level. It’s also worth noting that students from the EU, EEA and Switzerland can also use Cambridge English: First for other below degree level study such as foundation or pathway courses.
Obviously the best piece of advice to students is to make sure they check English language requirements with the
institution they are applying to.
The guidelines are supported by detailed FAQs available on the Cambridge English
website: http://www.cambridgeenglish.org/why-cambridge-english/visas-and-immigration/uk/study/

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: