New Zealand Student Visa

To be eligible for a visa to study in New Zealand you will need to meet the following criteria for international students:
  • To apply for a student visa, you will need:
    • an offer of a place or confirmation of enrolment from an approved New Zealand education provider
    • evidence of funds to support yourself ($15,000 per year if studying a course 36 weeks or longer in duration)
    • proof  that you plan to leave New Zealand after your course has ended (in the form of a return air ticket or evidence of sufficient funds to purchase one)
    • a passport that is valid for at least three months beyond the end of your intended stay.
    You will also need to meet health and character requirements and prove that the intention of your stay in New Zealand is genuine. The evidentiary documents you need to supply depend on the length of your stay.
    If you will be in New Zealand for more than six months, you may need to provide a Chest X-ray Certificate to show that you have been screened for tuberculosis. If you intend to study in New Zealand for more than two years, you will need to provide a police certificate from your country of citizenship and any countries in which you have lived for five or more years since turning 17. In addition, you will need to hold appropriate medical and travel insurance regardless of the length of your stay in New Zealand.
    If you are under 18 years of age, you must supply a statement from your education provider that confirms that suitable accommodation is available to you during your stay in New Zealand. Students aged 13 years and under will need to be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
Offer of a Place
To get a New Zealand Student Visa you need to have an offer of a place from a New Zealand education provider. This offer must include:
  • the name of the course and the minimum time required for completing it;
  • proof that the course and course provider meet New Zealand’s requirements for international students;
  • the cost of the complete course, or if the course is longer than one year, the annual fee;
  • whether you have to pay course fees and whether the fees are domestic or international fees;
  • whether you will be studying full-time or part-time.
Evidence of Funds to Support Yourself
To gain a New Zealand Student Permit you need to show that you are able to meet your living costs during your stay in New Zealand. Evidence of funds may be in the form of cash, travellers’ cheques, bank drafts, or a recognised credit card with enough credit. Evidence can include:
  • money held in New Zealand by you, or on your behalf,
  • an undertaking by another person to cover your accommodation and living costs (you need to give this evidence before you leave for New Zealand),
  • an undertaking by a New Zealand sponsor to cover your accommodation and living costs, or
  • financial assistance available to you under aid programmes operated in New Zealand by a government agency.
Working while studying : 
Allows the holder to study full-time for 3 months or more. Student visa-holders are allowed to work up to 20 hours per week while studying if you meet the following conditions:
  • You must be enrolled on a full-time  course lasting at least 6 months.
  • You have an IELTS overall score of 5.0 or higher



Lodging your application
After you have gathered all the necessary documents, you will need to lodge your application with your nearest Immigration New Zealand (INZ) office. The INZ has also recently introduced anonline service that allows students to apply for study, pay fees and upload related documents.
Fees range from NZ$195 to NZ$270, depending on your location. The duration of your visa will depend on the length of your course. 
%d bloggers like this: