Short-term study visa

Short-term study
1.Short-term study visa Overview:
You can apply for a Short-term study visa if:
you’re doing a short course of study in the UK
you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
2. Short-term study visa Eligibility
You must prove that you:
have been offered a place on a course in the UK at an accepted place of study
have enough money to support yourself without working or help from public funds, or that relatives and friends can support and house you
can pay for your return or onward journey
If you’re under 18 you must also:
have made arrangements for your travel and stay in the UK
have permission from your parent or guardian to study in the UK
3.Where you can study
You must be accepted on a course with an education provider that holds a Tier 4 sponsor licence.
Otherwise your course will need to be held at an educational institution listed by one of the following:
Accreditation Body for Language Services
Accreditation Service for International Colleges
Accreditation UK
Bridge Schools Inspectorate
British Accreditation Council
Education and Training Inspectorate (in Northern Ireland)
Estyn (in Wales)
HM Inspectorate of Education (in Scotland)
Independent Schools Inspectorate
Office for Standards in Education (Ofsted)
Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education
Schools Inspection Service
Learning English as a foreign language
You must be at least 18 years old and accepted on a course to learn English as a foreign language if you’re applying for an 11 month Short-term study visa.
A mixed course, some of which is spent studying English, doesn’t count.
Visiting the UK as part of an overseas course
You can apply for a Short-term study visa if you’re at least 18 years old and studying at an overseas higher education institution and part of your course is in the UK.
Your institution must:
hold its own national accreditation
offer only part of its educational programme in the UK
offer programmes that are equivalent to a UK degree
Researching in the UK for a short time
You can come to the UK for a short period of research if already enrolled on an overseas degree course.
To be eligible:
your course must be equivalent to a UK degree
you must be carrying out the research at a UK recognised body, or a body that receives public funding as a higher education institution
you must be at least 18 years old
4. Documents you must provide When you apply you need to provide:
a current passport or other valid travel identification
one passport-sized colour photograph
evidence that you can support yourself during your trip, eg bank statements or payslips for the last 6 months
details of where you intend to stay and your travel plans – you shouldn’t pay for accommodation or travel until you get your visa
your tuberculosis (TB) test results if you’re from a country where you have to take the test
contact details for at least one parent or guardian in your home country (if you’re under 18 years old)
You need to provide the original documents.
You also need to provide a certified translation of any documents that aren’t in English or Welsh.
You need a page in your passport that’s blank on both sides for your visa.
Documents about your course
You must provide proof of the course you’re studying, eg a letter of acceptance from the educational institution – on official headed paper, stating the course’s name, duration and cost (including accommodation).
You may need to provide additional documents depending on your circumstances, eg evidence of your:
You can travel to the UK without an adult (someone 18 or over).
previous study, eg academic certificates, references or transcripts
English language qualifications, eg certificates or awards
accommodation and travel plans
permission to be in the country you’re applying from (if you’re not a national)
financial sponsor’s occupation, income, savings or funds that will support your studies
If you’re under 18
If you’re under 18 you need to provide additional documents if:
you’re travelling on your own
you’re travelling with someone who isn’t your parent or guardian
Travelling on your own
Your parent or guardian needs to provide their:
written consent for you to travel to the UK
full contact details
They also need to provide proof that you have somewhere suitable to live during your stay in the UK, including:
the name and date of birth of the person that you will be staying with
an address where you will be living
details of your relationship to the person who’ll be looking after you
consent in writing so they can look after you during your stay in the UK
You must provide a letter from the school confirming it has notified the local authority of your visit and your care arrangements if:
you’ll be studying in the UK during your stay
you’re under 16
You must include the reply from the local authority if the school has received one.
Travelling with an adult
When travelling to the UK with an adult (someone 18 or over), you need to identify them in your visa application.
Their name will appear on your visa, and you’ll be refused entry to the UK if you arrive in the UK without them.
You can identify up to 2 adults in your visa application, and your visa will only be valid if you travel with at least one of them.
The adult can apply for a visa at the same time, but you must each complete separate applications.
5. How long you can stay You can stay in the UK for:
6 months – for any short course (including English language courses), or short period of research if you’re 18 or over
11 months – if you’re 18 or over and taking an English language course
6. Fees
It costs:
£85 for a 6 month visa
£162 for an 11 month visa


Notes: This entire information  is taken from the UK Border agency  (home office) official website.
%d bloggers like this: